Saint Lazare Cemetery
This cemetery is located near the Saint Alexander Nevksy monastery. Like the latter its creation dates back to the early 18th century.
Originally it was meant only for the important people of the Russian society, and they had to get the approval of Peter the Great to be buried there. The emperor himself came often to the cemetery so as to pay respects to his sister Natalie. Several of his relatives were also buried in this cemetery. Its architecture reflects that of the time. Most of the tombs show Neoclassical style.
It was turned into a Museum-Necropolis in 1932. Some of the tombs were restored because of their high artistic value, while others disappeared because the people were considered too close the imperial history.
Entirely restored after World War II, the cemetery reopened in 1952.