The Admiralty building is one of the symbolic monuments of Saint Petersburg. It is located in the very center of the city, near the Hermitage museum. Its main facade facing the Decembrists Square, is surmounted with a golden spire that reaches a height of 72 meters. Its top is crowned with a boat (the original included 2 kilos of pure gold).
The historical building dates back to 1711. However it was rebuilt in 1806-1823. The fortified architectural complex used to host a shipyard. Before 1844, when its stopped its activity, it is thought to have seen the construction of three hundred ships.
Besides official institutions, including the Ministry of Navy, the Admiralty hosted the School of Navy architecture. The school became Dzerzinsky Higher School of Navy in 1928 and is still located in the building.